Friday, December 7, 2007

Tegan and Sara Concert

Eek! I just (actually an hour ago, since I started writing this) returned from the Tegan and Sara concert that I bought tickets for late August. It was freaking good. They are a really aweome band live. I am half happy and half sad, because it was really fun to actually see your favorite band live, but it is really lonely to go to a concert alone. I don't know why my stats gsi loved doing it so much. Concerts are such a date thing, I think. I'd want to go to a concert for a date. Not really for a first date, although that wouldn't be too bad, but a date when you already know the person fairly well.

Things I've learned:
1) The "no cameras or recorders" line on the ticket is a LIE. I didn't bring my camera to take pictures, and while I will probably regret it later in the future, I don't mind now because I don't think I would have whipped out my camera to take pictures
2) I need to take my eyedrops. Everywhere. Apparently my desiccated eyes can't even last an hour without the comfort of rewetting drops
3) Zellerbach is a terrible venue for a concert. It's great for instrumental performances or opera, but concerts with assigned seating are NO FUN. I was only six rows away from the stage though, so I'm glad I bought my ticket so early
4) When a band says "this is our last song" apparently it isn't. This was a happy discovery.

I'm super tired but I haven't decided whether I want to shower or not, so I've ended up just sitting at my computer for the past two hours. I think part of me is waiting for 30 rock and Grey's to come online, so I can watch them. Another part is just too lazy to shower. Another part is optimistically hoping that I will finish my essay, which I had planned to finish Tuesday.

Sitting behind me was a middle-aged looking guy and a girl who looked around my age. I kind of think the daughter is in high school and asked her dad to take her to the concert. I wish I had talked to them in the beginning, when I was just sitting there since I got there early, so I could have seen if I was right. Because if I'm right, I think that's so cute! I certainly would never have asked my parents to take me to a concert, no matter who was playing. But to think someone would 1) love a band that much to 2) ask their dad/mom to come and 3) not look unhappy about it sounds like a really cool parent-child relationship that you'd only see on tv. Or maybe that's just my skewed perspective of family talking.

I want to listen to all Tegan and Sara songs for the rest of the night, but they sound so different from the live versions, it's not satisfying. I always thought concerts were not fun because I assumed live versions would be worse than the album version. But amazingly, I think I liked their live versions even more. And I REALLY love their recorded versions. So, wow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, my dad sometimes takes me to concerts of his favorite bands, if I want to go. So maybe the father likes Tegan and Sara. :)