Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Figuring out what I want to do

My telebears phases have passed and out of the four classes I signed up for, I'm only enrolled in one. Two of them are upperdiv Haas core classes, so they put all the second years on the waitlist. The other is a film studies class that I thought sounded interesting, but I think it's on its way to being cancelled. Maybe this is good because there seems to be a curse where all the classes I take because they "sound interesting" turn out to be my most hated classes of the semester. Examples: Bible as Literature, Demography 110. Then there are the classes I take because they just fit my schedule, and they turn out to be pretty fun. Examples: Astronomy, Americans and Global Forest, Comparative Literature 41B. So my next option is to just find something that fits my schedule. Considering that my schedule consists of one class, there are a lot of things I can choose from.

I think I might actually try double majoring in statistics. Which is going to be HELL because majoring in statistics requires 12 classes. Three are prereqs, so by the time I start my junior year, I won't have even completed my prereqs yet, which is a depressing thought. I figure I should at least start now, and see what happens rather than waiting around to see if I decide to do it or not, and ending up not having enough time to take the classes.

I have no idea what people do with statistics majors though. I hope I'm not going to do a bunch of work just to end up not needing the major. Reasons I want to major in statistics:

1) I did really well in stats 21
2) I <3 my stats gsi. But let's not speak of that
3) I looked at career.berkeley.edu and almost everyone who majored in statistics ended up working as an accountant of some sort, so I figure it must help my intended career in some way
4) I hate labs so I can't major in something science-y
5) I never fall asleep in math lectures or discussions, which makes me think I subconsciously love math
6) If I don't double major in something, I feel like I'm not getting as much out of college education-wise
7) I've found that I tend to like people who are smart in math, which makes me think I'm more likely to make friends (wink) with a math major. This sounds like a stupid reason, but it makes sense

I now hate winter. The days are short and it's always dark. This makes me want to sit around in my room and eat things. This then makes me fat and unhappy. Fat, unhappy melly is not a fun person to be around. She rants about being fat all the time. Fat, unhappy melly needs to become fit, fabulous melly before winter break starts.

No comments: