Friday, December 14, 2007

Finals gymming time

OMG OMG so when I opened up blogger to make a new post, I wanted to listen to some music so I went to http://myspace.com/ladydanville, which I've already talked about once long ago in a post, but I recently remembered that I love their songs so I've been listening to it again. Every time I open their myspace page, I think "Boo I wish I could get their cd somewhere" but it's only available online I think, and I don't have a credit card so I can't buy it. Today I noticed that they are playing in SoCal - and one of the venues is UCLA. On Jan 16th!!! I will be in socal until the 21st so EEK! I want to go to UCLA now. They're playing for one of those Battle of the Bands that some frat put on. Usually I hear about those and I'm like I bet it's some no name band that isn't particulary good but Lady Danville is awesome. AWESOME, I say.

Ok the real reason for my post, which is a lot less exciting and won't have as much emotion in it as the previous paragraph was that I noticed something while gymming today. Two things actually. First, I happened to choose an elliptical that was in front of the tv sets today. Usually I choose one far down, so I'm staring at a roomful of girls doing cardio kickboxing. That sounds a lot pervier than I intended.

The tv sets are always turned to mtvU, which I have grown to hate. The commercials are terrible, especially the ones put on by mtvU, and the videos are all the same. Either it's some black music video with a lot of bling being thrown about, with a number of scantily clad black women with large breasts, or it's some indie band that involves some grimy setting, too many shots of a drummer banging heavily on the drumset, and a crapload of "special effects" like slow motion or rewind. Annoying as hell. It really makes me long for the old music videos of the 90s, where there was some bizarre but clear storyline and an inevitable group dance. I'd post a video, but the embedding code has been disabled and I'm not going to bother making up the code.

Second, I remember last year, before finals I noticed a lot more people going to the gym before winter break. I'm going to say it was the "OH MY GOD I'm fucking fat and I'm about to go home and face all my friends" effect. I go in the morning instead of night now, and it's a totally different group of people who go. For one, it's like ALL white people. There are also more old people, residents of Berkeley, thrown in the mix. Anyway, right before finals I'd see some people bringing lecture notes and studying while they pedaled away. Now, no one brings any notes and there are also fewer people. I feel like the people who still gym in the morning are the ones who 1) feel comfortable with their studying 2) are so burnt out from studying they have to exercise or 3) never cared much about grades in the first place. And the ones who stay at home have finals today and are like WTFFFF?!?!

I still have not showered. I have to read some demography, although all the sections I've saved for today are probably not going to be on the final. I should review some economics but I've looked at the practice finals so many times I don't think I can learn anymore from them. Then I'll make a trip to Trader Joe's just to buy some water crackers. Mmm... water crackers

No comments: