Thursday, November 15, 2007

Salmon and Taquitos

One of the many reasons why I'm convinced I will never have children is that I always thought I'd be too selfish to properly raise a kid. I guess I'm lucky to have really giving parents and to have the view of parents as selfless people. I'm sure other people in the world aren't nearly that lucky. Anyway, my parents always give me whatever I want, and even if they aren't too excited to do it, if I really want it, they'll let me do it. Usually "do it" means "buy it." They always give me the best food on the table, although I wonder if this is also just being Chinese. My mom even claimed that I could date a black guy, if that's who I really love, but I was just asking her for amusement's sake. Her reaction, by the way, was awesome, but I can't write it on a public website.

There are a lot of traits that my mom has that I will make fun of her about, and her usual response is "you know, one day you'll probably be doing the same things too. I used to make fun about my mom about these same things, and now I'm doing them." It's true too. My mom will wear underwear that NEEDS to be thrown out - there's so many holes in them. She said her mom used to do this too, and she'd be like "Ew! Who does that?" Skip forward to me. I decided not to bring any holey underwear to college THIS year, but really, sitting in my cabinet at home are some underwear that can never see the light of day. Luckily for me, we got so many "Victoria Secret Free Panties!" in the mail over the summer that I now have new underwear.

Anyway, today I realized that if I had kids, I might actually not be so selfish. I had a club event today, and it was catered. Delicious food - omg salmon with some sort of spread on something that resembled a bagel chip - BEST THING EVER. I wish I had found out what it really was, so I could make it. There were taquitos and some other mexican appetizers. Really awesome dessert platters, but sadly, they were gone really quickly. *tear* Anyway, I knew I was going to be watching tv with one of my floormates when I got home, so I got some things for her. Last year, when I went to these things, I'd grab something for Chrystal. But today, I realized OMG I'm my mom. Swiping little desserts from work events to bring home. AHHHH

I haven't reached that point where I would give up ANYTHING for my kid though. Like on Friday Night Lights, Kyle Chandler gives up his dream job of coaching college football to go back to his family. I was like "omg WHAT" and I honestly don't get it. It's his DREAM job. And to go back to his family, he has to return to a HIGH SCHOOL coaching position. That is some serious backtracking. Maybe I'm just naive or I just don't know what it means to be in love, but I've always thought, I've spent nearly the past decade trying to make it in college to get the job I want. I don't think I would give up a job I've worked to get just to ... move somewhere to be with someone. Or refuse a promotion because my kid didn't want to leave his/her friends. Oh well, not something I have to worry about.

Instead of working on my Haas app or studying for econ, I spent the last thirty minutes writing this blog. Ingenious ideas by Meltang #45052

No comments: