Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Boo post office

I went to mail something today and as I neared the blue box, I wondered if postage was still 39 cents. I bought my own pack of stamps last year when I mailed a birthday card to Regina. I tried to choose the prettiest design, which was actually a bunch of thanksgiving-ish crops. Not pretty at all. I've used very few stamps since then, because there aren't many occasions to mail something and generally, I'm either too busy to write a full letter or I'm about to go home anyway.

Well, good thing I checked, because postage IS up. 41 cents to mail a little envelope. Honestly, 41 cents is not very much in the big scheme of things. If I bought something and realized that I was overcharged by 41 cents, I wouldn't care. But when you have to actually stick a stamp onto an envelope, I'm like oh my gosh, what could this 41 cents be used for? 41 cents is like ... half of a Clif bar on sale. It's like ... one fuji apple at Trader Joe's, not organic. If I'm already paying 41 cents just to mail something, part of me just wants to make it a full out package, to make it seem like I'm getting my money's worth. I'm not sure if that's logical, since I bet packages have higher shipping costs too. Well, it makes sense in my book.

I went grocery shopping today. Exciting! I've realized over the past few shopping trips that there are VERY few foods that you can buy that require no cooking at all. Well, very few foods that I would eat. Which automatically excludes snacks, candies, canned goods, microwaveables, drinks, desserts... Basically I can buy fruit, baked bean curd, bags of spinach, yogurt, and bread. I did buy a package of salmon today. Sashimi. Is it sushi sashimi? Or is sashimi automatically salmon? I'll call it raw salmon. I just hope I don't get food poisoning. I'm the type to buy something and leave it in the fridge for a rather long time before eating it. Considering everything in Berkeley molds like CRAZY if you leave it out, this is not a good trait to have. Tiffany, who I consider the person who knows everything about food, said it would last maybe 1-2 days. So I guess I have my lunch set out for me tomorrow.

Agh! This was supposed to be my first day of massive dieting before Thanksgiving but it turned out be a day where I ate two dinners, one of which was outside Asian (and thus, oily) food. Delicious, and I really don't feel terrible, but I don't have that sense of "I'm extremely hungry but I will go to bed with a flat and slightly empty stomach" feeling that I so enjoy. Once again, I'm convinced that someone out there enjoys messing with me. Every time I'm about to go home, I plan to exercise and diet like crazy the week before. And I'm fairly certain that every time, a bunch of things happen that prevent me from either swimming or exercising altogether. Also, I end up eating a lot more than usual. Bitchass universe.

Things I failed to do today:
Study economics
Complete Haas essay #2
Swim
Not eat

No comments: