Tuesday, November 13, 2007

5 things I dislike that the general public loves

1. Baths
I know this supposed to make you feel relaxed, but it's sitting in your own dirty water! I don't think I could bear just sitting in water, doing nothing. I wouldn't read because more often than not, I fall asleep while reading, so I'd end up with a soggy book. You get your skin all wrinkly, and eventually, the water is not going to be warm. It also shows you how much water you waste just to "relax" which would make me feel guilty. If I ever wanted to relax in water, I'd just sit on a stool in the shower.

2. Holidays
Boo holidays, as in the holidays where all the stores and restaurants shut down. Veteran's day was just yesterday, and I really hated that day (even though it was Frances' birthday, Happy Birthday!). I walked over to the dining commons - closed. I walked around the streets looking for a store to shop in - closed. Post office - closed (the one time I ever need to send something, of course). I wanted to eat out that day, but most restaurants - closed. I wasn't even sure if Trader Joe's was open or not, so I went on Sunday instead. And this wasn't even Thanksgiving or Christmas, this was Veteran's Day! I feel like I've been cut off from civilization. And why do they close everything anyway? What are they expecting us to do on our day off? Sit around at home? Blech.

3. Vacations
Kind of like holidays. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up being one of those people who store up vacation days and just get paid for them instead. So much more useful. I can't stand vacations. If I have work to do, it makes me more stressed because I'm constantly thinking about how I can't do any of it. If I don't have work, I end up thinking about what I COULD be doing, if I weren't on vacation. I don't like to travel anyway, at least for pleasure, so it's not like I'm wishing for a trip to Europe or something. I just like to be at home, or preferably at work, where I can make money. I have vacations everyday anyway, when I sit in front of the tv/computer for hours and hours.

4. Souvenirs
Ugh souvenirs. So ugly and so useless and so expensive. I hate little things with the name of some city on them. Which is funny because I have a shot glass collection, but I've stopped buying those. If I ever DID go on a vacation, I'd just take a bunch of pictures but I wouldn't ever buy a souvenir. They're only useful if you go on a LOT of vacations and you buy a LOT of souvenirs and then it becomes kind of cute. Otherwise, it's like a random piece of useless thing sitting around the house.

5. Fresh mountain air
Maybe I've been going to the wrong mountains, but to me, fresh mountain air smells like dusty dryness. Whenever I go to the mountains, I can practically smell the flammability in the air. I feel like at any second, some leaves are going to catch on fire and I'll suddenly be in the middle of a massive wildfire.

In more "and about my day..." news, I recently rewatched a bunch of How I Met Your Mother episodes, which I do randomly. Every time I have one of these little HIMYM marathons, I end up putting two songs on repeat: Nada Surf - Inside of Love and Bloc Party - This Modern Love. Freaking good songs. I read that the first season doesn't seem that great until you watch it again later. It's so true. It's one of those shows that age REALLY well. I think that you end up liking all the characters so much that you feel like you actually know them, so rewatching episodes feels like reminsicing or something. Is it scary to think of fictional characters as real people? It's because I have no friends.Eek! Frances just said "see you next week!" I can't believe Thanksgiving is so soon. Last year, I had a list of home foods to eat weeks before, and I was already planning what to do that weekend. Maybe the novelty of going home is wearing off. Or maybe I just have no sense of time, so I haven't processed the idea of going home. Probably the latter. The bad thing is that I have nothing due before Thanksgiving, so I don't feel the crunch time. I need to finish my Haas application before Thanksgiving, and my comp sci project, even though they're not due then. Self-pressure!

I also need to pressure myself to lose weight. Sometimes I think that I really have lost weight. For sure, I have since the beginning of summer, but I'm not so sure about since the end of summer. Sometimes I feel like maybe I am hallucinating and I haven't lost as much as I really think. I think the last few times I started feeling bad about my body was when someone said some offhand comment. It probably wasn't even a "I think you're still kind of fat" comment but I think it's a mix of my sensitivity about the subject and her not knowing how she sounds when she says certain things. But wow, either my body changes really quickly, or my mind is really powerful because after that, I felt really incredibly fat and I could see it in the mirror.

When I say "I need to lose weight" I actually mean "I would like to tone up" because I know I'm not really that fat. I just want to be lean. Like the side of a cow.

One of my favorite clips of any show ever; also the best use of music EVER

No comments: