Sunday, November 11, 2007

Another reason to stress out in a social setting

I heart Trader Joe's. I don't think I need to list the reasons seeing as how most of the people who read this blog probably love Trader Joe's even more than I do. I went today, and while I really do like the friendly atmosphere of the place, sometimes it comes back in a negative way. Sometimes I just want to go shopping with my iPod and listen to my newly downloaded music. I feel like you can't really do that at Trader Joe's though - I feel even more antisocial and yuppie-ish than I would elsewhere (although I would have absolutely no problem being a yuppie). Also, as I'm standing in line, I end up frantically thinking about how I'm going to talk to the guy ringing me up. At other grocery stores, you don't expect people to make conversation with you. More accurately, you expect everyone to leave you alone. At Trader Joe's though, as the number of people in front of me dwindle, I'm thinking "oh no! I'm getting closer! And he already talked to that woman about that. I can't say that. And that woman already asked him how he's doing today. It'll just repetitive for me to ask him again." Also, I have to make sure I take out my earbuds so I look equally friendly. Only then am I ready to commence this social interaction of buying my freaking groceries.

Then, even the people who go to Trader Joe's kind of stresses me out. They all look so nice, and maybe it's because I'm in the Trader Joe's at Berkeley, or maybe environmental consciousness is really taking off, but seriously, EVERYONE in line had those reusable plastic bags that Trader Joe's sells. Not only that, but everyone in front of me would pack their own bags, while the guy was ringing them up. I, on the other hand, just kind of stood there and he had to get more large paper bags, as though I was the one person using paper bags this entire day. At the time, I felt rude and lazy because I didn't pack my own bag but ... I'm a freaking shopper. I'm not supposed to bag my own bag! I'm supposed to be handing over money and all I have to give is a "thank you have a nice day," not a conversation with some guy as if we were old friends meeting up again. Sigh.

Oh my god, as I was looking for Trader Joe's pictures to post here, I found a mockup of a proposed Trader Joe's on University and MLK. Honestly, I would seriously consider living in this apartment if it did come into fruition. Riding the bus down College Ave really makes you appreciate this area. I think every time I go down College Ave, I'm convinced that I'm going to end up living in Berkeley in the future.
Delicious foods: Trader Joe's Zucchini Date Bread - it makes me want to bake with Connie again. It has cinnamon in it. Delicious cinnamon
Awesome songs: The Perishers - My Own; The Sounds - Tony the Beat; La Rocca - This Life

10 more days until I go home for Thanksgiving. My period cravings have died down, meaning it's time for me to crack down. Shit, I have a flabby stomach again. Good thing for me, I bought a bag of spinach. Spinach, say hello to dinner.

No comments: