Saturday, November 10, 2007

Crossroads Breakfasts

As I sit alone in the dining hall during breakfast, I wonder how I look to the people who pass by me or who happen to glance at me in between bites. Today, I brought a book to read with me, so I probably look like the bookish type. I probably seem so immersed in my book, that I've drowned out all the sounds of the dining hall and I'm in my own little world. The book I'm reading is so captivating, maybe it's life-changing. Every few sentences or so, I pop a grape in my mouth, not really thinking about it, as it's more of a mechanical action.

In actuality, the entire time that I'm reading, I'm running through every food they offer in the dining hall and wondering whether I should eat more or not. Donut? They looked appealing when I walked in but now I know that I really don't want them. More grapefruit? Maybe, even though they're not really worth all the cutting and juice squirting onto my glasses and clothes. Bagel? I find it too awkward to rip apart a bagel and only eat half, leaving the other in the bagel bin, so I'd rather just not eat a bagel to avoid the situation. English muffin? Eh, not really. I really want to eat something else, but I don't really want anything here. So I'll just keep reading and maybe I'll get hungry enough again that I'll know what I want.

I keep popping grapes into my mouth, even though I'm convinced they taste kind of ... strange. They should - I don't imagine that a cafeteria washes grapes particularly well. Even more disconcerting is that by the time I've reached the end of my bowl, there's a small puddle of REALLY dirty water, where all the dirt has accumulated. It makes me wonder how much dirt and pesticide I have just consumed. Every grape I eat is accompanied by the thought of "why am I still eating these? I don't know, but I can't stop."

On another note, I went to Rasputin today to look for CDs. Right as I remembered what CD I wanted to look for, I found it! The Perishers - Victorious, used, only $5.95! I'm happy now. Although, I just realized that I didn't get a student discount. The Asian me is going ARGH WTF cashier lady, isn't it kind of obvious I'm a student? but the lazy in me is going whatever, it's like ... $1. The CD is pretty good, so far. It's perfect for today's weather - overcast and scattered drizzles throughout the afternoon.

If I didn't have a project meeting, I'd be at Doe Library, researching for my demography project. As it is, I'm sitting here writing in my blog for no particular reason. Yesterday night, I managed to accomplish a lot of work, so now, I'm just left with three projects and an application. Two projects, I should finish today. One project, I can finish Sunday. Application, I just have to start it. I think this weekend is going to turn out well.

No comments: