Thursday, November 1, 2007

Awkward....

So my English class goes to this poetry reading and we're all sitting in the back of the library in these fold up chairs that have been set up into rows. I'm sitting with my new friend and ...

Me: Do you smell that?
Her: Yeah, it smells like smoke. Ugh
Me: I know! I hate the smell of smoke. Maybe I'm just too used to living in LA, but I'm just really unused to having to smell smoke. It's so gross
Her: Do you think someone is smoking in here?
Me: No, I think someone just smoked outside and walked past us
Girl in front of us: Actually, it's me
Me: Oh ... hahahaha ....
*girl turns back around*
Me (mouthing to friend): OMG ... AWKWARD ...

Totally foot in mouth. In my defense, I didn't smell the smoke anymore so I wouldn't have ever thought the person in front of me was the smoker. Obviously, I would not be saying such things if I had known it was her. This is like that time I went home for Thanksgiving and two people behind me were talking and the conversation went: "yeah, we just got married!" "oh really? how romantic!" "yup" "i got married ___(i forgot) but i would never go to vegas to get married. that's so tacky" "actually, we got married in vegas" "oh...."

I totally forgot that LA has super anti-smoking laws whereas most other cities do not, even those in CA. Having to walk and dodge smoke puffs blowing in my direction is practically enough to make me reconsider whether I would want to live in NorCal or SoCal.

2 comments:

tinggg said...

hahaha great job mel

Anonymous said...

HAHA. dude, people still smoke in socal! especially at college, i'm always dodging smoke.