Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sometimes I'm Super-Oblivious

I wanted to spend the morning watching old episodes of the Hills, but I think MTV's website broke down. Bastards. I've rewatched up to episode 2x2 and WOW. If I were the segment producer, I'd be PISSED because first season was rather unexciting and it seems like all the drama went down summer time, when they weren't filming. And they had to update us on everything in a short little "last season on the hills." It's super weird and totally worth it to rewatch episodes of either Laguna Beach or The Hills years later. Friendship lines are redrawn and some quotes have totally different contexts that are hilarious and sometimes you're just sitting there and then you're like "WHOA WHAT?! Is THAT how they met?!" Awesome.

Anyway, part of the reason I love recaps is because when the recapper puts their own opinion into something that happens, I'm like "ohhhhh I see how that works." Like on the last episode of Grey's Anatomy, Derek gives Meredith this huge speech and afterwards I was just kind of like "eh? What's that about? I'll just see what Lauren S says about it in the recap" and I read it and apparently the speech shows that he is "growing." Seriously, I've learned so much about life through hours and hours of reading recaps.

Well a few days ago, I was reading the recap for the Hills. In the episode, Lauren goes on a date with a random guy who seems nice but boring. Even I, half way through the episode, was like "um this guy is so not her type." At the end, she goes home and calls Brody, who she is flirty with but denies having any feelings for. She says to him something along the lines of "I'm going to just watch a movie" and he says "I'll come over. What movie is it?" and she says "Does it really matter?"

Now, I'm naive and my reaction was "AW Brody is so nice! He'd watch anything with her, because he just wants to hang out with her." APPARENTLY, what this is supposed to mean is "Does it really matter? We're just going have sex all night anyway"

WHAT?! I really don't pick up on any of these things. It makes sense when someone lays it out for me, but I were Lauren, I would have been like "What? You said we could watch any movie. What's wrong with Josie and the Pussycats?" I can totally imagine myself when I'm older and someone says "Do you want to come up" at the end of the date and I'd be like "sure why not?" without considering what that's supposed to mean. I remember in the summer we were talking about how guys flirt or something, or what means what and a lot of the things the boys claimed were flirty I was like "WHAT that's being friendly!" I think the only time I'd ever actually get the hint is if some guy tried to put his arm around me or started being really touchy, but in that case, I'd probably just react with "EXCUSE ME. What are you doing? Do you think you possess me? Get your arm off of me before I break it."

Best line I've read today: Ruthie just asks how long it will take so that she can at least let her trainer know. This is why I feel like I'll never be in any danger of working out too much. My general attitude is, "Oh my gosh, a paper cut? That's it, clearly I can't work out until it heals."

[Note: Turns out that the nail polish Lauren was wearing on the date and the nail polish she was wearing while calling Brody are two different colors. So the events occured on different days, and the Brody-calling was probably something they shot later. Everytime I think this show is actually quite realistic, I hear about how fake it is and my heart dies a little inside.]

No comments: