Thursday, October 18, 2007

I feel like I've broken into someone's home

The Perishers - Best Friends

I'm home! Although I actually call Berkeley my home. The house I grew up in just feels like a really familiar hotel now. Wow, that sounds really sad. I set my alarm for 7:30, which is the earliest I've woken up in a while. I thought my schedule would be really tight, but I ended up doing everything that I wanted. Which included washing a giant bag of grapes for about 15 minutes in the bathroom sink. We were supposed to leave at 9:30 and we ended up leaving around 9:45 which was really surprisingly on schedule. Apparently, last time they planned on leaving at 1 and actually left at 5.

The ride was surprisingly fast. Every time I drive up/down, I'm always really surprised by how short the trip is. Although maybe it's because I am always the passenger, and I typically end up sleeping the entire time. But when we took the exit to PCC (where Erica was going to take me home), part of me was just like "WHAT?! We're in socal?!" It really felt like we had just zipped on over to Costco or something.

HEHE My mom just came home. This whole time I've been wondering how I would "surprise" her. I thought just standing in the hallway and waiting for her to open the door would be really scary. My mom's routine is to park the car in the garage, unlock the house door without opening it, and then getting the mail before going in. So I heard the car door close and I opened the door and went "SURPRISE!" and she looked at me with an initial "wtf? Who is that in my house" and then happiness.

Now we're going to eat Korean BBQ at the new restaurant near Super A. I kind of wanted sushi, but I suppose I could eat sushi anytime in Berkeley. I'm also not in the mood to look at a giant list of sushi and decide what I want. I looked in our fridge, and there's a bunch of frozen Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pies. I really want one. I went on a feeding rampage at school yesterday and ate a shitload of pot pie that wasn't even the kind that I really wanted. Of course, I do this right before I go home and now my stomach is not flat. Sometimes, I really wonder why my brain likes to sabotage myself. Time to eat!

I'm back! The restaurant is brand new and at first we were two of four people eating. Then a lot more people came in. It's where Chef's Kitchen used to be, only now it's pretty. I kind of dislike the sign on their building. It's yellow, and I hate yellow lighted signs because it makes the establishment look really dingy. Otherwise, the people are very attentive, and they even give you extra sides if you finish eating them. I'd eat here again when winter rolls around.

Eek! I completely forgot when I greeted my mom, but the car she is driving is going to be mine! Wow, that's how much our relationship has changed in a few short months. Before it probably would have been like "hi mom" (obligatory) while really thinking "my car! my car!" When she first bought it, she said it would be mine. Then I said "you mean I can drive it up next year?" and she gave me a pretty adamant "NO. I meant you can drive it around Arcadia, but you're not driving it up to norcal." But I've kept saying that if I had a car, it would be much easier to find a job, and now she has caved and says that I can take it. SCORE. I love it. The color is so pretty. It's this color called black.

Mom: There is mooncake in the fridge
Me: I can't eat that! I'm so fat
Mom: I didn't say to eat it today. You can eat it tomorrow
My interpretation: Yes, you are fat.

Me: Did I gain weight?
Mom: (hesitates) No you look fine
Me: You're lying! Do you think I've gained weight since summer?
Mom: No, you look the same
My interpretation: She thinks I did. What a liar. Or else she thought I was fat in the summer too

No comments: