Thursday, January 17, 2008

Home is where my leftover possessions are

I actually had a few important things to do today, that I haven't done at all. My dad leaves for work at 1, so I have this general "I'm not going to do shit until 1:00" feeling. From the moment I wake up to the time he leaves, I sit and look at websites, never moving from my chair, while he showers me with cut fruit. Not good. But today is the last day! Tomorrow, friends come home for the weekend and after that, I'm BACK AT SCHOOL!

Where I have to:
- take care of club stuff
- take care of asuc stuff
- go to the gym
- shrink stomach by eating less
- look for picture cds, upload selected photos onto costco.com, have mom print them
- be friendly
- submit fafsa. FAFSA?!
- decide which class to drop because NO I am NOT taking 6 classes in a semester where I'm working, working out, and trying to make friends

STRESS-STRESS-STRESS. Yet I continue to sit here, debating whether I should rewatch ALL three seasons of Lost or just the 3rd season.

Anyway, what I ended up doing today was going to the bank to deposit a $500 check from my parents (free money! delightful) and going through old photos on my computer. I might have mentioned this before, but there are a bunch of pictures on this home computer that I never burned onto a photo cd. It's bizarre, because they're not "the best pictures" or "the most recent pictures." They're just ... miscellaneous photos that didn't qualify for its own album, and were kind of just left here when I transferred all my files onto my laptop and headed off to Berkeley.

So when I come home, there's always a moment where I'm bored but too lazy to get off the computer, so I go through the photos. It's only been two years, but I already feel older looking at them. Clothing and hairstyles have changed, and for me at least, the inner-TMV groups have slightly changed.

Take a look, but I don't think they'll mean much unless you were in the memory. It's weird because two years ago, I would think most of these pictures would be unprintable but now I'm like "wow ... I would totally frame that picture." Does anyone even use webshots besides me? I don't like flickr very much, especially because I think my phototaking abilities are an insult to the flickr community, which takes perfectly focused shots of grass and random people.

More in depth look at the pictures because there was another point I wanted to make in this blog but I can't remember it at all:

1) Taken during Pow Wow class: Sometimes I remember how shitty of a copy editor I was in yearbook and I'm really embarrassed. I didn't do anything in that class, because no one wanted to bother going through a copy editor before running in proofs. For me, I was like YES I can sit around and do nothing, and as the year went on, this was just cemented. I hope in the future I'm more proactive about things and make a better contribution to groups I join, instead of waiting for someone to delegate tasks to me (which I know I still do)

Also, WEIRD. I remember skipping classes with Alvin to eat at Souplantation during lunch. And I recently was reminded of the time Alvin stole a pack of club veg membership forms and had random people fill them out, because Souplantation said they'd pay me a nickel or a dime for each one I had someone fill out. Alvin was a really good best guy friend but I don't think we're best friends anymore which is sometimes sad to think about, but at least we're still friends.

AND HAHA CHRYSTAL. My college roommate of two years. Life is sometimes really weird in bringing people together.

2) I can't believe there was a time when I could angle my head like that and NOT get double/triple chins. Looking at some high school photos makes me really sad because then I realize how thin I once was, but didn't know it at the time. MUST. LOSE WEIGHT!

3) Jackie looks nothing like what she does now. But Danny's house hasn't really changed

4) Now I really want to go to the beach again with friends. TMV doesn't do anything at the beach. I wonder what people in other parts of the country would say. We live in SoCal, known for its beaches, and all we do is go, stare at the water, and then go shopping. One day, we're going to go there, EVERYONE will play in the water, and we'll have a nice game of volleyball or football, before breaking out some delicious food to roast over the firepit. ONE DAY.

5) I can't remember the last time we wore capris or shorts.

6) Sometimes, the picture is better than anything I can say

7) We actually rarely play Smash anymore, I think. If I were rich, I think I would buy Danny a PS3. Um.. never mind. I just looked at it on Amazon and realized it cost $500. I thought it was $200 and I was going to buy it for him as a thank you for the infinite number of times he's driven us, but ... $500 >> $200

8) I remember calling Stephanie and asking where Jackie was, and she told me her toe was ACTUALLY broken. And I had like a massive panic attack. It was a weird moment

9) Those don't look like real legs

10) Jackie, I hope you don't get sad by this picture. I think it's interesting to remember old times.

*I'm skipping pictures! Don't get confused*

16) I think I have a pretty negative view of males in general, but all the guy friends I've ever known are always extremely nice, respectful, giving, ... I honestly think that whoever they marry are pretty lucky people. Which is why sometimes I meet some guys and I'm like WHOA who the hell raised this jackass? It's really bizarre sometimes. Although I think I should also work on knowing people better, instead of passing judgment too quickly.

*Skipping again! Sometimes there's no point in writing about a picture for the third time*

18) I really want to dress up again. After I lose weight. But OMG. Dressing up is actually really fun. I want to curl my hair like that again, except I'm really too lazy to keep it up

22) I'm 100% not lying about this caption. I really don't remember hanging out with only Danny, Connie Y and Jackie. I don't remember at all what we used to talk about. Which is a shame, because I really wonder what Danny used to talk about.

23) I actually really do miss birthday cakes. It's like ... showing that you care about the person, you've remembered their birthday and preordered a cake, you're eating it with many of your close friends, and when you look at a picture with a cake in it, there's instant memories of celebration. Birthdays are happy times because generally, everyone's on their best behavior and if you did things well, there's ONE person who will remember the day as theirs. I think once I was like "it would be kind of cool if my friends mailed me a birthday cake" but thinking about it, it would be a very sweet gesture but how depressing would it be when you're eating that cake alone in your kitchen?

26) I love how Henry and I actually went through and tallied up the number of times everyone appeared in a picture. I actually kind of remember that day. It was weird because I think by the end of school, I had already started the "I'm annoyed at Henry at all seconds of the day" phase but we still decided to do the yearbook ad together anyway. And then he showed up at my door after track practice, I think, and I criticized all these little things about the ad. One thing that particularly sticks out is how we disagreed over whether there should be a period at the end of sentence, and if it HAD to be there, whether it should be a different color and we argued over it for a fairly long time and then I relented. I still notice the period. HAHA I think it turned out well but I also think one day we'll look at it and be like WOW that looks really poorly photoshopped.

That's all. I enjoy those rare moments when I actually remember something.

*Right after publishing the post, I remembered what else I wanted to say. I wanted to say why I love everyone in TMV and how appreciative I am (especially after they bought a freaking camera for me) but this post is long enough :) *

No comments: