Friday, May 29, 2009

Costco and shopping

I went to Costco today - very fortunate timing. I had to buy Microsoft Office and they just happen to be $30 off this month. Still cost $90 though. It makes me very annoyed to have to buy Microsoft Office, especially when I have had to buy it before.

I like to walk by the home and garden section in Costco, because that is often where the RANDOMEST shit is sold. Decorative things that look like very unique items that you think you wouldn't often see in people's yards. And then you realize they are being sold en masse at Costcos around the world. There was the fugliest thing ever. I tried to find it on Costco's website but it wasn't posted. This is the closest thing I could find on Amazon.com:

They're decorative mushrooms for the garden! The costco ones weren't so colorful, but the idea is still the same: stick three giant mushrooms in your yard. I wondered, who is going to buy this? Then I realized that the next time I visit Arcadia, I will probably spot a few on people's yards, especially if there's a coupon for it over the summer.

There was also a demonstration for ladders. Tons and tons of ladders of different heights and uses. There was one that extended ALL the way to the roof of Costco. And Costco roofs are RIDICULOUSLY high. WHO is going to buy that ladder? Ladders that high should be specially ordered, not bought at Costco.

My shopping spree is kind of over. I go back to Berkeley tomorrow and start work on Monday. I didn't buy any nice tops ... I will make do with what I have. I think I just have to dress fairly nicely the first few days, maybe the first week, then gradually shift into t-shirts.

I now feel TERRIBLE about all the things I've bought! Well actually, I have to say I like my H&M jeans a lot more than I anticipated. I apologize H&M - I judged your jeans before ever trying them on. Surprisingly, I do not feel like I'm wearing a burlap bag, which is what I expected. But I read an article on nytimes.com about people who are trying to get by in this recession. I think they have one every week (and I read them every week, fully knowing I am just going to depress myself) - how are the unemployed getting by? how are college students getting by? how are people who took pay cuts but still have jobs getting by? how are people who still have jobs but think they might get laid of getting by? So many reminders of the economy. I look around my room and think about my apartment at Berkeley and wonder, how much of the stuff I bought is crap? I probably could have saved thousands of dollars if I were more thrifty. But I guess fashion is an investment. I figure, people's peak buying time should probably be around 20-30, it is just unfortunate that I am 20-30 during a recession.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

What up mel?

I randomly decided to read ur blog.. I'm in Greece now, missing Berkeley peeps and thought u could bring me a taste of home. I admit, I don't usually read ur blog. But ya. Hope u r living it up, and I love u too! Thanks for the card and photos!

Hoagies when I get back? Or maybe quality time in the gym. And def some kips beering!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://oxybohewet.freewaywebhost.com/wyjupon.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://yzimibav.fcpages.com/domakaz.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It gets down to select a correct partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com