Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Elections are pretty awesome (when your side wins)


Ok, as much as I've started to dislike Berkeley these past few months, the walk back from Caroline's after election results were pretty damn awesome. There wasn't a minute of silence - there was always a car blasting its horn in support of Obama's win and cheers from the streets. :) I'm sitting in my apartment and the horns are continuing every time the light turns green. Things like this and excitement on game days make me really love this school (although maybe not the city as much).

This school also made me falsely believe that Prop 8 would sail through. I hope the No's start piling in tonight. Caroline got a call from her dad and he said that the Yeses were the majority and I could not believe it. This was right after finding out Obama had won, so it was kind of like happiness to disbelief. Sigh

I kind of missed the moment of "OBAMA WINS!" I was half doing microecon and half watching election results on MSNBC with Caroline and her apartmentmate. And then suddenly I look up and hear cheering and I was like "I wonder what just happened?" I thought a major state had won and all of us were like "I don't know" and then I looked at the scores and it said 283? or two eighty something and I was like OMG HE WON! and we rewinded it and rewatched it.

OMG Ok I hear Sproul Plaza is CRAZY right now and you can't even get onto Telegraph so Jon and I are going to head over. I can hear fireworks going off. What an awesome election to be a part of, especially in Berkeley. :) EEEKKKKKKKK!!!

---


Just got back. I went with Jon and we called Paulo, Caroline, and Joe to join us. HAHA We went out too late to celebrate on Sproul Plaza but the Durant/Telegraph intersection was awesome. People were climbing the streetlights, people were popping off bottles of alcohol and spraying it all over the place, there would be random WHOOOOOs and chants, there was a really bizarre woman dancing the WEIRDEST DANCE (Paulo called it "getting stupid") on a newspaper stand, honking, people cheering on cars and buses that had the misfortune of being on Durant when the crowds came out, firecrackers going off, a mix of pizza and pot smells, cops going through the crowds saying "We just want to get to the police car! We're not trying to stop anything!" and people crowd surfing. Also, a girl who started the whole sitting on people's shoulders, who was wearing a backless shirt, prompting a group of guys to start yelling "TAKE IT OFF! SHOW YOUR TITS! BOOBS FOR OBAMA!"

It's 12am and I can still hear some commotion outside. Caroline said on her way up to Telegraph, they got into a parade that was going through Hearst, which led them to the Campanile where they sang the Star Spangled Banner, old school style. Finally after standing at the intersection, we all went to my apartment for some warmth, ate a TON of chocolate, and watched the news.

As fun as it was, it was a little scary at times. It makes me wonder how scary the 60s must have been, especially since the protesters did not have the support of the police at that time.

I have done SO LITTLE homework today. But today was a good day. (EXCEPT for prop 8)


I think that the only reason people weren't playing loud music is because NO ONE has boomboxes anymore. They've all been replaced by iPod speakers. The only way the night could have been better is if Cal Band had gotten together and played on the streets of Berkeley.

1 comment:

jackie said...

too bad i didn't bump into you guys at telegraph/durant but undeniably the best berkeley night thus far :D