Sunday, February 1, 2009

Four awesome meals

Oh god. I was supposed to not eat out out after winter break for the month of January. I ended up ending the month of January by eating FOUR AMAZING meals in a SINGLE day. I have no self control, I swear.

Meal one: Cafe Durant, sundeck combo B. I don't know why I always order this. Well, sundeck combo B is clearly the best deal out of all the sundeck combos. It has two fruit pancakes (with real fruit!), an omelette, home fries, and two slices of french toast. The smarter option is sundeck combo D, which has less carbs and a bowl of sliced fruit. But I always think, sundeck combo B is TOO GOOD to pass up! And EVERY TIME, I finish 1/3 of my plate and I'm full. It's INSANE

I ate with my fundraising committee, all of whom I love. Such a freaking awesome committee. I pat myself on the back for picking all of them myself. It's too bad that John is a devout Christian, because we all really want to drive to Souplantation and eat Sunday brunch. But he must go to church, and he is the one with the car :(

Meal two: Right after I came home, I was on the computer writing e-mails and dealing with stuff and Li-Ting informs me that she came to Berkeley early, and invites me to eat. I am ridiculously full, so I say I will go out with her but not eat with her. I walk over to Laura's apt and am about to turn up her street when I hear a bunch of yelling and see them already parked outside. We drive over to 99 Ranch (oh god, I almost wrote Ranch99). Solano is so cool. I wish I had the ability to go and eat at the restaurants there. Parking is a bitch because it is a Saturday afternoon. I dread the days when the only time I have to shop is the weekends, like every other person who works full-time

We go to this Chinese restaurant within the plaza. I am tempted to eat. Then, Lucy orders the food and I am like crap guys, I'm going to eat. Even though I just had a HUGE breakfast like an hour ago. Lucy is the cutest Chinese girl ever. HAHA She was born in America but I LOVE listening to her speak Chinese. I seriously want to record her just saying everything on the menu. I would eat anything that she ordered, because she makes it sound delicious. I feel like Mandarin is a pretty neutral language, as long as it's not with a Beijing accent. Like, it doesn't sound horrendous nor does it sound sexy. But Lucy is the only person who I've ever heard speak Chinese and my ears kind of perk up. HAHA So yes, I blame Lucy for making me eat A HUGE MEAL.

In the middle of it, people dressed up as those Chinese dragons came in and danced around. Hilarity! Also, a small child of maybe three years waved at me and smiled very happily. I said "hello, child" and hid because I do not know what to do when a child smiles at me. Li-Ting paid for our entire meal. If I ever get a good full-time job, I am immediately going to take out Li-Ting for a good meal, and also Laura because I really think I owe them any success I have in the future. However, I kind of don't think I'm going to have any success in the future, so maybe I will have to thank them in other ways.

We went to Barnes & Noble and I started getting serious food coma. We went home and I would have walked home, but I was seriously too tired to leave. I ended up falling asleep on their futon and waking up to Sex and the City. Can you believe I have never seen a full episode? I missed the first ten minutes, so I still haven't. It was surprisingly good, although how annoying is it to hear women whine about how they are old and single? It seems like SATC has done much for women, by showing that they are no longer the sexually innocent people that they were portrayed as decades ago, but then they have the same characters constantly looking for a husband. I think I would like to read some academic papers about the social impact of SATC.

Meal three: Ici. The second time in TWO days. That is a luxurious life, when you can eat Ici multiple times in a week. I ended up getting Honey Chamomile flavor. I was surprised to enjoy Saffron Almond, but some parts were way too sweet and tasted like caramel, which I do not like. Yogurt Sorbert did taste like Pinkberry-type of yogurt. Today's cone had way too much chocolate in it. Yesterday's cone was much better. If they had still had Darjeeling cardemom I probably would have gotten it, seeing as how I waited several months for it. Alas, they did not.

Meal four: Gypsys! What a day of firsts. Andria had never eaten Ici, which was the whole reason we went there. Then I found out Kristen had never had the Pesto Calzone from Gypsys so I said I would share one with her. While waiting for our food, Laura, Kristen and I were just talking VERY loudly about how "rocking" Professor Brooks' legs are. SERIOUSLY. If I can be as in shape as she is at that age, I would not mind living past 45 at all. I want to be her. But 1) I am not white.

She used to work as an auditor, first in a Big 4 then in industry (freaking Wells Fargo!). She is now a fabulous teacher who is the most organized ever and has daily cartoons and accounting jokes. They would be corny and lame for any other teacher, but with her they come off very sweet and everyone laughs good naturedly. I have heard a row of guys say "Dude, I have a crush on Professor Brooks" and Kristen says one of her friends wrote on her eval "you have awesome legs" HAHA She is also amazingly thin. I wondered if she had an eating disorder at first, but Kristen said "NO! She totally has runner's legs!" She has an AMAZING wardrobe, although they said it was pretty old-school. Well, it is clothing very appropriate for her age, and everything falls onto her body perfectly. I wonder if her clothes are tailored. I'm sure they are - she must be loaded after her crazy career. She is a mystery, because I wonder why someone who has gone so high up the career ladder would give that up and just teach. I feel like most Haas professors have their own semi-successful businesses, but decide to become professors so they can exert more power over students. But she is the nicest ever! She's so awesome. I just wish I didn't always fall asleep in her class.

Anyhoo, so Laura, Kristen and I ate Gypsys while Soo-Jin and Li-Ting watched. The hilarious part of this meal was when Kristen was talking about her classes and I was watching her eat the last few bits of her calzone. She was leaving the corner for last and I was getting REALLY stressed out because, she has never had a calzone and did not know how dry and tasteless the corner would be! So as she was talking, she was preparing to eat the juicier, oilier, cheesier and chickeny part of her calzone when I could not take it anymore! She was about to start a new sentence and I went "OMG KRISTEN! I'M SORRY! I'm interrupting your story. BUT YOU HAVE TO EAT THE CORNER FIRST! YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE BEST BITE FOR LAST!" and everyone burst out laughing at me. AND THEN she ate a piece of chicken and I was like OMGGGGG NOOO!!! But then there were still parts with pesto and cheese. So it was ok.

We went back to Laura/Lucy/Soo-Jin/Robin's apartment and watched the real housewives of orange county. I feel like that show does not really deserve capitalization. It sparked a lot of interesting commentary. Finally Kristen and I left, but not until after I forced her to stay and watch THE BEST PART of The Devil Wears Prada. This is when I would normally post a clip, but youtube is mean and has removed all copyrighted material. My description does not do the scene justice so you will have to remain in the dark about which scene I think is the best.

I thought I was home free to shower and sleep in my bed, but then Kristen forced me to go to Naomi's and play beer pong. I was ready to keel over. I had been up since 7! I had gone to the gym at 8 and had been out the entire day, with hardly any time to sit and play tetris. But I went. I played a game but said I would leave after. Otherwise I would have had to face the Trollrule. So I made my escape and got back to my apartment. I showered and decided I would blog about my day.

Hilarious moments: oh so many, and I don't really remember any of the exact quotes. One thing was when we were driving back from lunch and Laura was talking about a blog where Berkeley alumni who now work at Big4s post about their experiences. And there was one with all the current lawsuits each Big4 is facing. Each one has a huge one, and Laura was like "I feel like if it weren't for Bear Stearns, EY would be ok!" Because she is a huge EY fan. And everyone laughed and was like "yeah, but that was probably the biggest one" Oh business humor, how I enjoy you.

TOMORROW IS THE SUPERBOWL! I'M SO FUCKED FOR ALL MY CLASSES! Today was supposed to be study day! I'm very glad I was out the entire day with friends that I have such a good time with though. I do not like being alone with my thoughts. This week, until Wednesday will be the most nervewracking week of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's Trollrule? lol

meltang said...

If you don't make any cups in the entire game, the next game you have to sit under the table and pick up all the balls that fall HAHA

Anonymous said...

lol wow that is a pretty awesome rule

tinggg said...

i'm sad i haven't been here for a while...bc this post made me and kathryn laugh so hard hahahahaha

i love you mel hahaha