Monday, September 1, 2008

My mother and I

Is that correct grammar? I don't know. I talked to my mom for about two hours today, broken up into two conversations. People have said lately that I seem to get along with my mom a lot better now. I always thought I had an ok relationship with her, but I do notice that I'm much nicer to her and even talk to her if my friends are present, whereas before I would have been like "I'm busy! Call you later!" After this summer I guess I appreciate her more because I would call her when I was bored and lonely. Then I had friends again and I brushed her off a little but now we have good conversations again. She is very busy with her new job so now I kind of realize how much I took for granted that I could call her whenever and expect her to answer. Her life now kind of reminds me of those stereotypical working moms on television where they're like "I'll call you back later! Mommy has to work!" We are both very busy on weekdays I guess and she goes to sleep at 10pm whereas I don't even think of calling her until 11pm. Now we just cram all our conversations into the weekend.

Today's topic of dicussion was how my cousin who just went back to Taiwan apparently kept saying that I was very close to my mom and she wished that she could talk so much to her mom. I thought that was a little weird at first, but I guess I did talk to my mom for long periods this summer. It's a little funny that someone out there wishes they had the relationship I have with my mom.

Convo from today:

Mom: Are you going to throw a birthday party for yourself?
Me: I don't know ... I don't really enjoy throwing parties
Mom: Oh ... then maybe one of your friends will throw one for you
Me: I don't think that happens in college. You have to do it yourself
Mom: Oh really?
Me: You know that parties mean drinking right?
Mom: Drinking? That sounds like a very wild party. Your friends are not even 21 yet
Me: You are very naive
Mom: Yes I know

Me: I was thinking that maybe we could go on a trip together in the semester that I graduate early
Mom: That would be fun! But would you want to travel with me again?
Me: Oh yeah huh? I guess I would not want to. But I like you more now so it will be ok

My meals today consisted of red bean toast, fruit, chocolate with almonds, and mooncake. It's a mix of healthy and terribly fattening.

School tomorrow! I should shower now.

2 comments:

coonie said...

AHHH how cute. especially the last part about you liking her more now. i was actually very surprised when i read that you wanted to take a trip with her. HAHAHAH

Anonymous said...

wtf...? your meal is dessert. lol
awww, your convos are cute. i am glad to hear about your good relationship with your mama!