Friday, September 26, 2008

Enough is Enough

It's season premiere time on television, which is one of my favorite times of the year. I know that I spend way too many hours of my life watching television, but I always want more. MORE, damnit! It's very hard for me to quit a show, but I think there are a few that I just have to give up on. They're like the boyfriend (I never had and) cannot break up with. Times started off well and I was surprised by how much I loved the show. They would make me feel emotion, give me something to look forward to in the week, give me something to talk about with my friends. I'd spend my days thinking about it, and when they went on hiatus, I'd feel sad, like I lost a major part of my life. But then there comes a point when you start thinking, "this isn't really quite the same as it used to be ... and I don't really like where any of this is heading."

And the show will disappoint you. You don't laugh as much as you used to or you just stop caring as much. But every time you're JUST ABOUT to say enough is enough, it reels you back in! It'll do something unexpected (Izzie likes George! Derek gets a new girlfriend! Hiro's dad dies! Kristen Bell on Heroes!" or something that reminds you of the old times (Good music! Cristina and Meredith! Hot people! Sylar being kickass!) and you think to yourself "hey, maybe it'll get better if I just wait it out."

But then it'll return to the same level of crap, and in a moment of clarity, you say ENOUGH. You quit watching, and it feels weird at first, like there's a void in an hour of your day. A few weeks will go by, you'll think it's ok. But then you'll hear news about the show. A rumor here or there about what the show is up to.  A new cast member with the show?! A new relationship that has sprung up?! And then suddenly you're finding yourself checking up on it, reading tv recaps and looking at tv sites to see how it's doing. AND THEN. YOU'RE BACK IN. Hook, line, and sinker.

But at a certain point, there's only so much crap I can take. And even if I might miss out on those few seconds of greatness, I'd rather invest my time in something else. So, I'm saying goodbye to Grey's Anatomy and goodbye to Heroes. And if you piss me off, Brothers & Sisters and Dirty Sexy Money, you'll be next too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AHAHAHA i love this entry. :D so all this time you've just been dating a guy called TV. cute.