Sunday, June 22, 2008

Reactions to my job

I notice that when I tell people what I want to be when I grow up, there's two different reactions. And I've come to anticipate these reactions, so the way I say "I want to be an auditor" changes too.

Situation 1: Asian grown-ups

Them: What are you studying?
Me (very confidently): I'm in business and I plan to become an auditor
Them: OOO Excellent! That is a good career
Me (false modesty): Oh really? Yeah, I guess

Situation 2: Just about everyone else (people my age, grown-ups who have more "interesting" jobs, etc.)

Them: What are you studying?
Me (very confidently): I'm studying business
Them: Oh... what do you want to be when you graduate?
Me (not so confidently): Uh... well I think I want to be ... maybe an auditor?
Them: *makes weird face* An auditor?
Me: Yeah ... I don't know ... It doesn't seem that bad

I totally get their reaction. But at the same time, it's not like I said "I want to grow and up and become a clown and terrorize children." Auditing is a legitimate career! :(

I am very tired but I have to wake up at 6:30 tomorrow just to go to work and then come back at 8:30. Fucking 3 hour (round-trip) commute. It's so true when they say taking a "better" job is only worth it if the commute is within thirty minutes. If it's past thirty minutes, you just spend those extra minutes hating on your job. I figure the cost of the commute is made up by the lunch they pay for. But I think I hate going to Redwood Shores more because I don't have enough hot business clothes to wear. I own one pair of dress pants that make my legs look fantastic but also give me a huge muffintop. And after looking at pictures of me in my H&M dress shirts, I've realized they all look like the buttons will pop off because my boobs cannot be constrained.

Things I learned today:
1) Apparently I can get through a day with only half a box of strawberries, an apple, and a handful of cereal
2) When you meet someone you ADORE you should not only take a picture with them - have them make a video saying something like "I LOVE (insert name here)"
3) Taking the F line to SF is FREE, FAST, CONVENIENT, AND you see the most amazing view of the bay bridge. I fully relove the Bay Area. Those first two weeks of summer shall be forgotten
4) In the Bay Area, it may be fucking hot one day, but the next day might be FUCKING COLD

Also, my facebook FINALLY LOADS. Piece of shit. I couldn't access my facebook for about three days. I don't know if it was the internet or my computer, but in either case, I wanted to destroy something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey - the only open location for The Princeton Review is in Fremont, so I'm going to be looking at an hour-long drive down (because of traffic; class is 6-9pm), or 48 minutes of BART + bus fees when I get to Fremont.

At least I get paid $0.505 per mile I travel.