Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Banana Longevity

I've read somewhere that apples release some sort of chemical/hormone (do fruit have hormones? I forget all the things I've learned in AP Biology) that makes the things around it ripen faster. So do gas oven, so don't leave your fruit next to them! You're supposed to keep your apples away from other fruit that you do not want to ripen as quickly, say bananas. Well, I brought an apple and a banana to work yesterday, assuming that I would eat them. I must be eating a lot more, because when 6:00 rolled around, I still had not gotten hungry enough to eat them. So I just left my fruit in my bag, and NOW LOOK.

On your left, you have three bananas who were left to their own devices and just sit around in a Trader Joe's bag on my floor. To the right is the banana who had to suffer through a day of banging around my tote bag, and the apple that has made it age before its time. And now, this banana will no longer be able to serve its purpose of being consumed as breakfast. I have to wait for it to get super brown, and then I can cut it up into little pieces and make a banana peanut butter sandwich one day.

And the green wire is my LAN cable, which I use when this stupid wireless fails to work, which happens quite often.

Also, right after taking this picture, I realized that I had just let something I will consume touch a surface of my sublet, and I barfed a little inside.

And nowwwww time to work! I have six minutes to wash my bowl of cereal, put on shoes, and walk there. Good thing it only takes me three minutes to walk there!

*This appropriately short blog has been inspired by a new random blog I have found and attempted to read through 145 posts in one night*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the chemical is ethelyne! apples, bananas, and avocados do that. sooo like "fruit bowls" though aesthetically pleasing just fuck up all the fruit...lol. oh and...putting it in a paper bag = like super advanced ripening. the fridge thing, although it makes the banana LOOK brown outside, it...actually prevents it from ripening faster? i think that's the deal. anyway...too much "good eats" watching. heeh. eat more! yes! energy for the working.