Friday, July 24, 2009

Seattle!

Now I can appropriately title this blogpost Seattle because we actually went to Seattle yesterday. Twice! The thought of driving to Seattle seems like a far adventure to me, but it's really the equivalent of driving to Costco. I did not know that homeless people WEREN'T intrinsic to every major city. We were walking around Seattle at 1:30am and there weren't ANY suspicious looking people!

We went to Pike Place Market which was one of the best outdoors markets I've ever gone to. But I don't know if it was significantly greater than other outdoor markets, or if I was just with a better group. Traveling with excom is very nice - we look at things at approximately the same amount of time and multiple people take pictures. We ate really good smoked salmon samples that an Asian fish guy gave us. I point out that he is Asian, because the way he got us to sample his foods was by yelling "HEY, MY ASIAN SISTERS!" Well, I'm glad I stood out as an Asian, because that salmon was damn good.

Lunch was piroshky which was SOOOO good. I got two though, one sweet one savory. I shouldn't have gotten the sweet because it was way too sweet. Savory was so delicious - cheese, egg, and spinach. I should have gotten the pear tart at Le Panier. I hate regretting food choices :( The piroshky place, appropriately named Piroshky, had been featured on Anthony Bordain's No Reservations, as the newspaper clipping in the window told us.

We spent a good amount of time there. Then we drove off to Olympic Sculpture Garden, which turned out to be way cooler than I thought. I had imagined boring people-like statues, but it was modern. Also went to Microsoft's headquarters, which was very interesting. Helped myself to a cup of hot chocolate. Then dinner at Santorini's Greek Grill which was SO GOOD - it was featured on Seattle's cheap eats. So we had Russian and Greek. I love this multiculturism. We then went to Dragonfish, a restaurant/bar in a hotel in downtown Seattle where we had INSANELY cheap drinks. $2.95 for some pretty sizeable cocktails.

We are leaving for Vancouver now!

No comments: