Friday, April 3, 2009

Life is a song

While swimming, tetrising, and talking to my mom on the phone, I had all these ideas about what I could blog about today. I ended up talking to my mom for forty-five minutes though, and am no longer in the mood to write out my thoughts and feelings in a text box. Here are some of the possible titles this entry could have had:

1. More whining about my life
2. Why is my mom so awesome
3. wtf am I doing with my life

But instead I'm just going to do something else I enjoy - make a list.

The song that describes my life:
Death Cab for Cutie - Your New Twin Sized Bed
How depressing that I heard this song and was immediately like, this song speaks to me. I'll post a video of the song, but I'm sure that it will eventually be taken down for copyright issues. So listen to it now while reading the rest of this wonderful entry



Top five songs ever:
Tegan and Sara - I Know I Know I Know
MGMT - Kids
The Perishers - Sway
Benji Hughes - Waiting for an Invitation (title of my blog!)
The Stills - Gender Bombs
I wish I could post ten, and seeing as how it's my blog, I could easily make it a top ten, but then people are even less likely to care when there are that many songs. These are the songs that I have listened over a hundred times and can listen to while gymming, walking around the streets, sitting in my room, or tagging at Equilar. Which are really the only activities my life consists of.

Favorite lyrics:
Jaymay - Gray or Blue
My favorite lyrics are always ones that tell a story. I guess you could say that every song tells a story. What I mean is, I like lyrics that are very direct and don't have some analogy or metaphor in them. Because I'm a pretty simple minded person and I already don't pay very close attention to lyrics to begin with. I don't even know what 2 of my favorite 5 songs are about. My favorite part of this song is when she goes "he tried to win my heart, but it's taken .......... time"

Most embarassing song that I really like:
Aly and AJ - The Potential Breakup Song
I think this song bridged the gap between my indie music and my love for songs by Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers

Favorite youtube cover artist:
Kiersten Holine - The Engine Driver
I LOVEEE all of her songs! Julia Nunes is another good one, but I have to be in the mood to hear a ukelele. Kiersten Holine makes me LOVE songs that I am generally eh about.

Songs I misunderstood for a long time:
Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Just more proof that I really don't listen at all. For the longest time I thought Leona Lewis was singing a happy song about how she "KEEPS BREATHING, KEEPS KEEP BREATHING LOVE" and I was like "hmm, kind of romantic!" And then, if you weren't listening to the lyrics of Mr. Brightside, wouldn't you just naturally assume it was about someone who was bright and happy?! I didn't really know the meaning of the song until a few years later

Lyrics I completely made up:
Ace of Base - The Sign
The last category made me think of how I had always thought this song's lyrics were:
I saw the sun! I opened up my eyes, I saw the sun. I was once happy, but now I can't see nothing!
The original lyrics, if you didn't know, are: I saw the sign, it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign. Life is demanding, without understanding

Song I'd want at my wedding:
Joshua Radin - They Bring Me to You
I mentioned this before in another blog. Joshua Radin just has such a nice voice! It's very wedding-like. He sang at Ellen and Portia's wedding. I take that to mean, I will probably never get him to sing live at my wedding, because I am not a multi-millionaire celebrity.

Let's feel sad about life:
Bon Iver - Skinny Love
There are several songs that I listen to, and even if I'm happy that day, just listening to the song will put me in a somber mood. This is one of them! Bon Iver is interesting because I feel like most of his songs are about sad topics, but when I listen to them, I feel happier just because I'm listening to Bon Iver! Like, I think "how amazing that I found this awesome artist," but at the same time, "why is he making me feel sad!" But if he sang upbeat songs, it would not be Bon Iver.

Oddly romantic:
Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life
If someone sang this to me, I think I would swoon. Or feel incredibly awkward because someone was singing to me. Someone tell me if this is actually not that romantic of a song. That is a huge possibility...

RUINED!:
Bright Eyes - Four Winds
I listened to this song A LOT because an old crush really liked this song. And now whenever it pops up, I inevitably think about my old crush. I'd rather just not listen to it at all

Longest lasting pop song:
Jessica Simpson - I Wanna Love You Forever
I swear, this song has only gotten better with time. I cannot at all connect the 1999 Jessica Simpson to the 2009 Jessica Simpson though. How amazing that I grew up listening to music from a DECADE ago.

The end. Because it's midnight and I want to: gym, clean my apt, watch Gracepoint Live, watch Adventureland, go grocery shopping with Li-Ting tomorrow. It will more than make up for this terribly uneventful day! TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY SINCE JANUARY 23rd THAT I DID NOT HANG OUT WITH SOMEONE. It scares me how dependent I am on social interaction to remain emotionally stable. I remember January 23rd, I was also sitting in my apt thinking about my crappy life.

1 comment:

danny said...

its ok, i too rely on social interactions to remian emotionally stable LOL