Saturday, August 2, 2008

I hate pizza

When I first ate at the dining commons in Berkeley, every dinner I ate a TON of food. I'd like to forget the days of uninhibited eating, but it's a good reminder that even though there is good food out there, it doesn't all belong in my stomach. Every day I would get a slice of pizza in addition to the many other plates of food. One day I realized, surprise, maybe pizza isn't that great for you, even if it served in the city of Berkeley. I probably would have continued to eat pizza despite my epiphany, except that the new semester started, Cafe 3 opened for the first time since its remodel, and I started eating there for dinner. The people they hired were newbies, so the first week of spring semester was pretty bad - people were still learning how to do everything so food wasn't great or always ready.

Thankfully for me, that first week had some TERRIBLE pizza. And after several tries of eating failed pizza, I finally got completely turned off to it and just never had the desire to eat it again. Now when I see that the only thing I have to eat is pizza, I get kind of annoyed. After being the finance officer of my club, I've started REALLY hating pizza. There was one club event where we decided to provide free food. The go-to food for all clubs is pizza. A lot more people showed up than expected and someone decided to order more pizza. I arrived after this and they gave me the receipt to reimburse and I was like WTF. It set the club back like a hundred bucks when the entire social budget was only $700 and the entire year I'd think about how much money was wasted on food we really shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Why pizza sucks: it's actually fairly expensive when you think about how much you have to buy for large parties, it goes by really quickly, it's not particularly satisfying, and it's greasy and not very nutritional.

I'm prompted to write this entry because TODAY I HAD PIZZA. It's not that I never eat pizza, I eat Cheeseboard and Little Star Pizza with relatively little complaint. But I still don't really enjoy eating it. Today I looked at the boxes set out on the dining table and was like ugh ... I really don't want to eat this. But I'm not going out for dinner so I figured I might as well eat it. I used to say I like Pizza Hut pizza the most (out of chain restaurants) but NEVER AGAIN. The pizza had all the negatives I mentioned above, but it was also not very well made. TERRIBLE cheese, way too much tomato sauce, and I think it was taken out of the oven before it was meant to be. So now I'm in an annoyed mood because whenever I feel unhealthy or fat I get incredibly cranky.

It's funny/stupid/other adjective that the ONE time I've eaten at home the last two times I came down, we eat PIZZA. My mom bought it because she went shopping with my cousins and is understandably exhausted and not in the mood to cook. But it kind of annoys me that she chose pizza to eat. Just because they're from Taiwan doesn't mean they've NEVER HAD pizza. There's freaking Pizza Hut in Taiwan! I'm not annoyed at my mom, it's more like I'm annoyed at the idea that pizza is the staple food of quick fix dinners for groups of people.

I'm a little astonished by how terrible of a host I think my mom is. I think part of the problem is that my cousins are my age, so to her, it's like having little children to take care of again. She would have absolutely no problem hosting her sisters or her mother. But I think about how much I plan when I have friends coming, (like making a list of restaurants I think they'd like or doing all of my homework early so I don't have to worry about it during play time), and how little she seems to care about their experience. I don't really feel comfortable talking to them because my Chinese is so terrible, and I also would much rather hang out with my friends, but part of me really wants to take them around California and show them all the good things. Because right now, they probably view America as: shopping land with meals of pizza and terrible public transportation.

If I could somehow type this quickly for the paper I've been working on for the past four days, I would not have spent this entire day sprawled on the ground.

It's very hot here. I wish I had been cleaning my apartment this weekend, but I'm still quite happy. I'm kind of screwed next week - I need to go to the internship for three days straight and I have one pair of dress pants that are fairly distinguishable. People will think I'm poor! Or that I don't shower. I should have spent a few hours today shopping instead of sleeping. But I'm sure I'll work something out ... eventually.

No comments: