Thursday, August 7, 2008

Busiest week ever

I'm freaking exhausted. Right now I'm at one of my relative's house, using the computer until she can send me back to the BART station at 7:00. This week has been one of those busy weeks that I love to have every now and then. But I'm realizing that these "busy weeks" are going to be every week of my future life.

Monday was class: another 1:00-9:30 day. I had just gotten back from SoCal at freaking 3:40 am. Damn you traffic - I can't believe I actually sat in traffic for TWO hours and moved THREE miles. It was one of those "how do we pass the time? Flash a truck driver!" moments even though I didn't actually do it. I woke up, did the reading assignments I had forgotten about over the weekend, then went off to class. Went to the new apartment after class, redid my essay because when I went into section, I had a sudden realization of "I CANNOT TURN IN THIS C PAPER." I spent the rest of the night redoing the kitchen drawers until 2:30am, and I didn't even finish. I'm about 25% done with relining the shelves with new contact paper, and about 3% done with total cleaning I have planned.

Tuesday: was work, from 9:00-5:00, my last day. We ended up getting assigned a new project that I felt obligated to finish in a day since I wouldn't be coming back. It was the most mindless work ever, but luckily I figured out a more efficient way to finish it and probably saved myself five hours. Went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's, where I realized my dreams of cooking glorious meals are going to never come to life if I don't find someone to drive me to a grocery store. Whereas I could easily transport a bag of cereal, apples, and yogurt home, now, it's pretty hard to carry groceries that would feed you for actual meals.

Wednesday: Woke up at 6:45 to eat breakfast then went to SF for the first day of my "internship." I guess it is more accurately called a shadowing program, although I've never heard people call it that for accounting. I had planned on taking the BART, but then realized I could take the bus and get a lovely view of the Bay Bridge. The bus left twenty minutes later than I had thought, so I ended up rushing my breakfast for nothing. I also ended up sleeping on most of the bus ride, so I didn't even get the full "WOW bay bridge" experience. I did get to experience traffic on the Bay Bridge, which was fun/terrifying. For some reason, I had the sudden thought of "OMG This bridge is NOT seismically safe! If we had an earthquake RIGHT NOW I would plunge into the bay in a GIANT BUS". I got to the Transbay Terminal with 11 minutes to spare, and I'm so glad that I decided to walk around SF Financial District one weekend, because I knew where to go. The building was much taller than I imagined, so I ended up walking a block south of it to check and see if I was actually going into the one labelled US Bank. Got there with time to spare.

Wednesday was TIRING. But very fun. I liked the presentations, although I nodded off a few times. I like the place a lot but I still think I want to go to a Big 4. The one I went to was like in the top six, but it targets middle-sized companies whereas Big 4s work for huge companies, which I think would be more interesting to audit.

I've noticed that there's this progression of worries for people in business: it kind of goes 1) AGH Have to get good grades to get into Haas! 2) OMG Have to get internships!! 3) WHICH is the best company to work?! At least that is what I am going through. Maybe our generation is much more concerned about finding the PERFECT place to work. I'm starting to care much more about picking up on little signs of a firm's work culture. I still like PWC the most, but who really knows. But now I'm not only concerned about getting an internship for next summer, I'm thinking about which ONE I want the most. Because basically if you can land a summer internship, it's like 99% that you'll be given a full-time offer, and if I can have that then YAY. Job security before my senior year! But if I end up interning at a place I don't like, I'll still be like OH NO WHAT NOW

Wednesday night, I came back from SF around 8:00, packed my stuff, then went back to the bart to go to my relative's house in Cupertino, since I had to be in San Jose today. Super tiring.

So I got out of work at like 2:20 today when it was supposed to be 5:00. We were supposed to work on our case study presentations, but the rest of my team basically decided to leave and I was kind of like "whoa ... wtf just happened" when I suddenly found myself sitting by myself. They were like "I'd care more if it were for a grade, but it's not so..." and I'm kind of like WTF I don't want to embarass myself in front of actual employees. -_- Everyone else was hard at work for like a full thirty minutes after they left and I realized I should have stayed longer but I had already called my aunt to pick me up so I couldn't change it. Sigh.

My feet hurt A LOT. Heels for two days, one of which included running around SF for a scavenger hunt for an hour. PAINFUL. Tomorrow is another day at SF, and it ends at 12:00 when I thought it ended at 5:00. I have a group meeting at 5:30, so I think I will go to the mall and go shopping.

But not for recreating. EVERY time I go to some business function, I leave thinking "OMFG WHY don't I have more shoes?! More dress pants?! Better dress shirts?! A nicer wallet! An actual work bag?!" I feel very unprepared. Luckily I think GT is more casual than the Big 4's - I dressed up in a sort of suit on Wednesday and was like one of three people to do so. I'm pretty sure everyone would have been dressed up crazily for Big 4's. I always say that - "MUST BUY NICE THINGS FOR BUSINESS" but never do.

I'm getting CRAZY DEJA VU right now. The feeling of me at my relative's house, typing on blogspot about needing business clothes - I'm like 90% sure I dreamt about this and woke up thinking "why would I ever be at my aunt's house?!" Very weird.

This weekend isn't even relaxing for me. I have to work with my group for a 20-min presentation. Remember those presentations in AP English? Kind of like those, only now I can't pad half of the presentation with stupid games where we give out food. Then, in any time I have free, I'll be cleaning my apartment. Wednesday is the last day of summer classes (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!), I have one week before school starts, which I once wondered "what the heck will I do?!" WELL NOW I KNOW. It's going to be:

1) Clean kitchen (reline shelves with contact paper, find something to scrub the wooden drawers and shelves with, wash all dishes, clean counters with some intense lysol action, mop, sweep)
2) Clean hallway closet which will become my actual closet (air out terrible musty smell, put in air fresheners, buy a dresser, assemble dresser, buy a rug)
3) Clean bedroom (organize stuff, wash blankets, wash curtains, mop, sweep)
4) Clean living room (organize stuff, wash couch cushions, clean surfaces with more lysol action, GET FREAKING CABLE)
5) Clean bathroom (scrub bathtub, clean bathroom sink, clean toilet, buy a shelf for the bathroom to put stuff on)
6) Buy slippers to wear around the house
7) Move fridge from sublet to apartment

I really feel like if I didn't sleep for a day, I could do all of this in a single day. But I already know that I won't be able to. Also, WTF. I looked and all but one of the electrical outlets are two-pronged. WTF HOW am I supposed to plug in my laptop or even the surge protectors?! I don't know what to change - the actual outlet? Or do I buy some sort of converter? Also, is there some sort of way to clean wood drawers besides tossing them in hot water? I'm pretty sure you don't do that with wood materials. ALSO, I feel like every night I sleep in the apartment, I wake up with dust in my throat and nose. I feel like I'm going to get cancer living there. This summer has been full of "don't skimp on where you live" lessons. I'm kind of already starting to envision my next year, and wanting to live in one of those ridiculously expensive one-room apartments like Gaia.

Long blog entry! Or maybe because this screen resolution makes the font size huge.

No comments: