Sunday, January 4, 2009

Damages

I am currently marathoning Damages on various Chinese websites. I don't think it's that great, even though it's well-liked by critics and was nominated for some awards. If I had been watching this in real time on FX, I don't know if I would have tuned in every week. At a glance, the show seems very complicated because there are many different timelines, but Damages is kind of like Alias in that it is only as complicated as you want it to be. Like, in Alias, they have a lot of names and a lot of things going on, but if you choose to view each episode as "Sydney must retrieve an object and beat down anyone who gets in her way," it is simplified. Similarly, you can choose to look at Damages as "pretend everything happened in a single day" because it really doesn't matter when something happened.

I feel like Glenn Close is a cheaper version of Meryl Streep. Except Glenn Close instills a lot more fear in me. I am not really surprised by any of the twists. I can't tell if it's because I have watched too many shows with twists and I am no longer surprised, or if I paid more attention to the season recap than I thought. The show is very creepy though. Even the theme song creeps me out. I feel like I could get shot, stabbed, or run over at any second. I have learned from this show that I never want to be a witness to a high-profile case.

Between the time of starting this blog and this paragraph, I finished the season. What tv show should I watch now, while I'm in SD?! Just kidding, I should be working on cover letters. I was really wondering how the heck they would be able to write a second season, but looking at the previews, it seems like second season will be pretty cool.

No comments: