Friday, July 18, 2008

Career Fair!

I'm super glad that I went back to the career conference thing because it was surprisingly informative and fun. I watched all the Jon Stewart monologues on hulu.com and then dressed up and went to the Haas building. Lunch was AMAZING. Where does the money come from?! Oh yeah, all the alumni who donate (me in two years). There were like eight different sandwiches and I got one that was a chicken wrap with spinach and mango. Seriously the BEST wrap I've ever had. (UCSD's banana wrap falls under a different category). They had drinks like giant bottles of Snapple, and if I were juice-drinking person, I would have been super excited. The box lunch came with fruit and a cookie, and THEN they had another dessert bar after too.

But that's a lot about food. HAHA I talked to an accountant for PWC and then a recruiter for Deloitte. Talking to a recruiter was probably the high point because he was interesting and someone I'm actually likely to see again next year. Then there was an etiquette lecture, which I expected to be boring as hell but it turned out INSANELY good. New things to watch out for:

- Wear name tags on the right side
- Maybe get a manicure before interviews/career fairs
- Get a better wallet that isn't falling apart
- Eat before going to events with food, because it's horribly awkward to try to talk and eat at the same time

Then we could choose two panels to go to: I chose accounting (obviously) and consulting (just to try it out). The only thing I've gathered about consulting is that it's the job people say they want when they have no idea what they want to do in business. I think it's crazy that the more I learn about accounting, the more I like it. I always wonder to myself if I'm just overlooking a better career or if accounting is just marketed in a way that sounds like a good job. But sitting in the consulting panel just made me realize how little interest I have in the field and conversely, how much interest I have in accounting. So yay!

But now that I ate that delicious lunch, I feel the need to exercise it off. I woke up feeling less thin than yesterday :( So I will go swimming now. This time WITH my goggles and swim cap!

No comments: