Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ice cream


Normally I would have stolen a picture of an ice cream scoop from the internet. One that looked like someone had fussed over the camera for a good minute before finally taking a satisfactory picture of the inanimate object. But everything on tastespotting looked good, I can't really think of other food sites to comb through, and none of the pictured flavors were actually flavors that I like. So I figured the ice cream truck would do.

If I think about it, the after effects of ice cream are not pleasant at all. It's usually very delicious to eat at the moment, but about ten minutes after it, I have cottonmouth, I want to eat something else to take out the creamy flavor it left behind, and my face feels like its pores are clogged. Every time I feel myself being tempted by ice cream, I try to remember that feeling.

Still, I have an insane sweet tooth. And there's a reason why Ici is probably the top three phone numbers I call. (Chrystal and I once laughed over how we only call because it tells you the daily flavors over an automated message - otherwise it would be far too embarrassing to call as often as we do).

FAVORITE FLAVORS (subject to change):

1) Mass marketed and found everywhere
Breyer's Coffee ice cream. I like coffee flavors, but I don't like coffee. Breyer's is better than Dreyer's - it's easier to scoop and I think they may use less cream, which gives it a lighter feeling. It's almost a little foamy if you let it melt a bit, in a good way. I'm always in danger of eating more than I want, especially because I start thinking "well I don't want this tub taking up space in my freezer! Best just to finish it"

2) Ici, bcause it deserves its own category
It once used to be chamomile or something tea like. Tea flavors are so delightful - they always REALLY taste like tea! But then I tried a sample just for kicks ... and it turned out to be the MOST AMAZING FLAVOR. Basil ice cream, guys. It is the winner. You wouldn't expect it, but it is crazy good.

3) Sit at home and mope
I won't admit to how many pint-sized Haagen Dazs ice creams I consumed in a single night during my years with a mealplan (enough that I no longer have to google-check how to spell Haagen Dazs). I'd just sit there, watch something I had downloaded on DC++, and suddenly find that I had passed the halfway point of the pint, so I'd finish it. I still don't understand why Chrystal laughed so hard when she opened my freezer and saw that I had left a spoon on top of a half-eaten pint of ice cream. If no one else uses my fridge and no one else will eat my ice cream, there's nothing wrong with keeping the utensil conveniently next to the food item! And the cold will keep bacteria from growing.

Anyway, favorite flavor. I ate Maeda-En's lychee sorbet a lot, because it felt healthier and it was crazy cheap at Unit 3. But if I never ate it again, I wouldn't mind. I actually really liked Haagen Dazs Mint Chip flavor. It was white instead of green. I wish the chocolate chips weren't so chunky, because it takes away from the mint ice cream, but I think the chips help limit my eating frenzy.

I'm trying to look for reviews of the Wynn Buffet to figure out what foods they serve, so I can plan ahead of time what I want to get. That way, I don't go crazy and overeat. People say their desserts are not very good (they probably just mean, not good for a $40+ buffet) which bodes well for me. I think I can generally limit myself pretty well on food food, but desserts are a different matter because I can't distinguish between when I'm funneling food into my regular stomach versus my dessert stomach.

My mom is feeding me too much but thank goodness she goes to work next week, otherwise I'd continue eating the same amounts for lunch. At least when she is gone, I can go back to my fruit eating without her nagging me all the time.

No comments: