Saturday, August 15, 2009

Eyeballs

Every time I go back home, I always
1) Go to Victoria's Secret to pick up one free panties. They always send my mom a card for a free VS panty, and if someone would review their market research better, they'd realize that we never buy anything and I've accumulated nearly two weeks worth of free underwear, which is like $75
2) Go to the dentist, after which we go to a C grade Chinese restaurant that serves really good dse ma da bing (sound it out phonetically - I don't know ping ying). It is sad that our family traditions consist of Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, Christmas dinner with ham, and dentist appointments with dse ma da bing and lamb.
3) Go to the optometrist, which is the time my mom sits in fear of finding out that my eye sight has dropped another 100 degrees.

I heavily dislike my optometrist. He graduated from Berkeley, and if I had lived on his floor, I'm pretty sure I would have made fun of him with Chrystal. He seems arrogant and always in a rush to get patients out. If your parent says "hey try out this new optometrist, Jim Chen in Arcadia" you tell them "no!"

I lost my right hard contact on Thursday while walking the streets of SF. I stared at the ground very intently for two minutes before I gave up and continued walking to the bus terminal. Still freaking missed the bus, by a minute. I was too proud to get on my hands and knees and feel around for my contact. Thankfully, insurance covers a new pair. My old ones were about three years old. I think when I first put in my new contacts, I'm going to think "OMG why are things so CLEAR?!"

He also did a check up of my eye and said my retina is thinning. Basically if I get in a car accident or get hit in the head really hard, there is a chance that a hole will appear in my retina. There's no pre-treatment, because anything they do would most likely just cause more holes to appear. But if a hole does appear, then they can fix it with lasers. He said I probably shouldn't ever get laser eye surgery because my retina is so thin :( I feel like I was told that I can't get pregnant. This was my future! I'm still holding out for the day when I can just buy new eyeballs and stick them in my head, Minority Report style.

The reason I eat so much at home is because there are so many little snacks. Little snacks that I would not allow in my own apartment. For lunch I ate some grapes and cherries, a warm soup, green bean soup, and a piece of black sesame bread. Later I ate red bean ice cream (oh god soooooo good) and another chinese rice krispy. Damn you chinese rice krispies! I was going to give you up, but I come home and there are like 16 waiting for me. That's two per day ...

It is really humid in Arcadia. But it is deathly hot in Vegas. I know I am not at all prepared for Vegas weather. In my head, I'm like "hot in Vegas? I'm sure it's kind of the same as Berkeley at 2pm." There is about a 20 degree difference that my head can't wrap itself around.

No comments: