Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Graduation 08

I'm really tired right now. So tired that while I was talking in the hallway, I actually considered just lying down on the ground and sleeping on that dirty floor. I actually sat down, but my half awake brain kept me from doing anything more.

I didn't even study very much today. Wow, I was about to recount what I did earlier in the morning, and it honestly felt like yesterday. I woke up, gymmed, showered, went to the library to watch a movie for film studies, came back and ate with a surprisingly large number of floormates at Cafe 3, studied some economics (but only the amount I was supposed to have completed yesterday), then went to Angelica's convocation. After, ate dinner with her, friends, and her parents, then I went home and ended up playing tennis with my floormates. Well, they played, I sat on the side and surfed the internet (thank you, Airbears).

Graduation. Omg. I'm so tired and I have gotten extremely dark because of it, but it was super fun. I wonder what I looked like - a mix of tiredness, sweatiness, and vacant eyes. But honestly, I LOVE graduations. When I get older, I want to go to a graduation every year. If I end up living in Bay Area, which I probably will, I will try to go to the Berkeley convocation every year. I just really like the atmosphere of happy, proud families and friends, and all the speeches sound great and all the graduates look super excited, whether they were the super studying nerd or the uncaring slackoff who just wants to end school. Everyone is excited to be there and it makes me really happy.

Convocation is at Greek Theater, which I have actually never been in before. Embarassing. Going made me really want to attend a concert that's held there. For some reason I thought the Greek Theater was a part of the football stadium, but it's actually a separate place that is built to look like a Greek amphitheater. It is super cool.

But, it was insanely hot today. To Berkeley standards. I have never wanted the sun to go down more quickly in my life. I can't understand at all how Survivor contestants stand in typically 90-100 degree heat holding onto a pole without moving. Insane.

So if you didn't know, convocation is what most graduates don't go to, and it's just a bunch of speeches. What everyone goes to are department graduations, where you have your own graduation according to your major. Depending on the largeness of the department, you are either graduating at the Greek Theater or some smaller room. So why did I go to convocation? Because my friend Angelica was a freaking University Medal semi-finalist! And what is that, you ask? Well, she is one of SIX people chosen as the top student of UC Berkeley ... so she is like one of the top six students at the top university. Jessssus. It's insane to think about the level of achievement that that is. Because she's a semi-finalist, we got VIP seats so AWEEESSOME. Otherwise we would have had to sit in the burning sun for the ENTIRE ceremony.

Fun quotes of the ceremony:

Chancellor: Berkeley has more students whose parents have incomes lower than $40,000 than all of the Ivys combined

Chancellor: We will be taking an aerial photo later today - so don't be alarmed when a helicopter flies over. There will be no napalm today.

It's so weird to think only two years ago I was at high school graduation. Everyone around me today kept going "wow! There are a lot of people here" and I was like "...really?" because AHS graduation was HUGE. and the racetrack is HUGE. Greek theater is definitely smaller than the racetrack, but it's better seating. Well, in two years I will be there. Monday was the last day of my classes for sophomore year. I am half done with college...

Ok now I'm hiccuping. My battery is running out. I'm super tired. I will talk in short sentences now. Ate at Thai restaurant. Best Thai food I've ever had. I love Northside Berkeley. Tired now.

No comments: