Friday, March 21, 2008

What about the next two years

So I guess most people know I got into Haas. Which, YAY!!! But a few days ago I got an e-mail that made me go "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!" It said "Telebears for Fall 2008" and I was like what? ... and I clicked the e-mail already knowing what it would be, and I realized that I have to choose my Fall 2008 classes on April 28th.

Wow. I really have no idea what classes I want to take. Trying to get into Haas, you basically have all your classes chosen for two years. You have a little variety in the breadth courses, but a lot of people take similar ones. But the older you get in college, the more specific your classes become and ... I don't really know what I want. If I had double majored in statistics, this would be so much easier but now I'm completely on my own.

(Warning: lots of math that is unnecessary to understand) So my fall schedule is actually very easy to decide - I'm forced to take 3 classes and I'm going to look for one international studies breadth course for my fourth class, and I'm at about 13 units. My spring semester, I can take the last two business requirements and I'm done with all the required classes for Haas. Then I just have to reach 120 units and I'm completely done with all my requirements to get a degree. After I do all the core classes, I will only need 8 more units that are upper div business courses, and then only 10 more for upper div non-business courses. That would give me 5 more units than the required 120 to graduate so I know for sure I don't have to worry about finding enough courses to do that. But...

Needing only 18 more units can be taken care of with like ... maybe 4-6 classes. At the minimum, I would be able to finish all of this by the end of my junior year. At the maximum, I would be able to finish this by my senior year 1st semester, and that's if I take like ... two classes in the fall semester. So knowing that, and knowing that I have no double major ...

WHAT DO I DO FOR SPRING SEMESTER?

Actually, looking at the elective courses that Haas offers, there's a ton of things I can take, but it's if I don't mind having an entire semester full of business-y things. But I'm already kind of tired of school. I just want to graduate and start working. But, I don't think I would want to start working spring semester senior year, because I'm certain that I'll just look back and think "wow I should have just stayed in college longer." Talking randomly with Caroline, she showed me the surfboard she's planning on buying and it just reminded me of how one of my fun life goals is to learn how to surf. And learning how to surf is like ... on a ticking clock, I swear. At some point, you're too old to learn how to surf, because your body isn't that young or you have a constant job or you have a family (probably not my case) or you just don't have the time to keep up with a hobby. I feel like if I'm to invest in a $600 surfboard, I would want to be at the beach EVERY DAY.

So Caroline was like "I want to go to Peru and surf there" and I was like WHOA that sounds SOOO COOL. I would totally want to go to Peru (ok maybe not exactly Peru but somewhere with a nice surfing area) and just do nothing but surf. So for a day, I was like "YES THIS is what I want to do spring semester!" But then I realized ... a semester is a LONG ass time. For some reason I was thinking it's like a month. But it's like ... four months. So realizing that, I was like ummm nm.

Writing this entry was actually very helpful for me. At the beginning I was like "OMG I have so many choices I don't know what to do!" But after rationalizing, I already know what I'm going to do. I'm just going to take classes and not graduate early because there are tons of classes that I could take and probably have to take to be an auditor/accountant. There's Intermediate Financial Accounting, and Advanced Financial Accounting! Then Federal Income Tax Accounting, then Auditing, and THEN Special Topics in Accounting! I'm not even really being 100% sarcastic - a lot of these classes look very interesting. Plus I really like Berkeley and would enjoy staying for four years, I think. But when will I learn to surf? Summer of senior year? Hmm. I guess if I do get a good job, I'll feel financially stable enough to blow everything I have for the summer before the beginning of the rest of my life.

I'm very tired right now. I haven't even gone running! It's 9:30. Is that a dangerous time to run? My large stomach says "no, you can run anytime you want"

1 comment:

coonie said...

hmmm?? how is 4 months too much time for surfing? 1 month sounds like way too little to me