Thursday, February 7, 2008

Classes and stuff

Oh, I forgot to blog about this. Wow, three posts in a day. It's like ... drought ... MONSOON! Anyway...

For some reason that I haven't quite figured out yet, there are a LOT of old people in my film studies class. And by old people, I don't mean grad students, but people who I am fairly certain are retired. I can't imagine that there would be that many people going back to school so late, or that they would all happen to take film studies. I wonder if there is some sort of program where you just take one class for fun.

I heart old people. Correction, I heart old white people. They seem so much more approachable. I want to sit next to them and become their friend, although that would be very hard. It's very interesting because usually there are certain people in the class who are always eager to partcipate. Well, in this class it's all the old people participating and raising their hand! And now, when someone my age talks, I can feel the entire room kind of go like "I wonder what this young person has to say" and at the same time, when an older person speaks it's like "Wow these are the words of a very wise person. Obviously. Just look at how old he/she is!" I also liked when someone was talking and the professor was like "can everyone hear that?" and this entire row of old ladies in front of me all shook their heads in slight annoyance.

I got rid of my women's studies class! I called my friend Angelica and she got me into two classes that sound infinitely better. One is a physics and music class, which is like learning about the physics of sound, specifically music. The lectures are insane. So much funding. The head GSI is her boyfriend who I've become friends with. He said the class got about $15,000 in grants which sounds insane. You can really tell too. You sit in the class and it's the kind where you can imagine someone filming it, showing it as an example of "classes of the future." Time flies by so quickly. They really put the laptop to use - it's inspiring to see just how much you can do with a computer besides making powerpoint lecture presentations. There's also really cool demonstrations. When I went, the ending demonstration was using a pitch to shatter a wine glass.

Then I'm taking this education class where I go out and teach elementary kids science. I was thinking about it, and I'm kind of like "oh wow ... what if this is the event that makes me want children? OR WORSE, want to become a teacher?" I go out and teach kids for an hour once a week with Angelica, which should be super fun. I'm a little scared though. We're teaching a class of deaf kids, and although we'll have two interpreters this will be significantly harder than teaching a regular class, which I was already apprehensive about. I'm not exactly the most patient person and I hope I don't end up getting annoyed at some innocent little kid.

Other classes... IEOR ... I always viewed this as a business class because it's a core for Haas students. But I'm starting to realize that IEOR (industrial engineering operations research) is an ACTUAL major. Ok, if I really thought about it, I would have known, but I never thought about it. We did an activity today, which I immediately figured out was just an example of game theory, which we went over a little in business and people would be like "this is so weird. I don't get the point of this at all" and I was like "well you have to figure out if someone's going to backstab you." It was just very weird. It seemed like people couldn't relate it to business and I was like ?! That makes me sound like a bitch, but so it is.

Anyway, I also never really considered this an actual engineering class and to make conversation with my group, I was like "wow there are a lot more guys in this class huh" and they were like "are you kidding?! this is like, the most girls I ever see in a class." They were both in engineering related fields. And that was when I realized ... wow. So this is what it's like to be in an engineering class (not really). I've always had more girls than guys. But wow. I used to think "if you really want to find a boyfriend, just go into an engineering class and you can just take your pick." But looking around the class ... ew. I would not want to date any of these people. I'm sorry ... but business boys are far hotter. So clean cut. Yum.

Oh. I thought this was funny. People said this at the Chinese New Year's Eve dinner I went to yesterday.

"Wait what's the difference between tax and auditing?"
"Auditing is where you go to a company and make sure their numbers are right"
"Oh! And tax is where you help companies cheat"
"Yeah."

I need to finish my paper. Two more inches. OH WAIT! HAHA It's not a one-page response. It's a 450-500 word response. Hey! I'm already done! 15 words over. I guess I was actually done 20 minutes ago. Wow. What a pleasant surprise. I guess I can go to sleep now. I've made it a goal to sleep at midnight from now on. It's worked fairly well so far. I keep waking up at 7. Uh oh, I have a lot to do tomorrow. I hate the idea of doing work. Poo.

Looking forward for tomorrow: I'm going to watch a movie. I don't know what movie, but I will watch it. I will eat a banana wrap. I will get officially enrolled into my final class. I will eat very little. I will go on the elliptical. I will reread all my business chapters and completely understand all the little abbreviations. I will not stress out.

No comments: